Without any information about your facts (shadow or not) and rules only very
general suggestions are possible.

NPE's may come up when a slot usually holding an object is null and you call
a method.

Less obvious are cases when a java.lang.Integer (or similar) is null and the
value is used in an arithmetic operation or a comparison; then unboxing
causes the NPE.

-W