"Nested exception is: null" means that the *message* in the nested exception is null; this is often the case for several kinds of exceptions thrown by the JVM itself, NullPointerExceptions being the most common. If you have access to the Exception object itself, then use theException.getCause().printStackTrace() to display the trace of this nested exception -- it will give you a lot more information about what's really happening.

Swing is touchy because you're only supposed to work with it on the GUI event processing thread; calling Swing methods directly from any of your Jess/Protege code likely violates this prescription, and that's one possible source of these errors. You need to be aware of threading issues any time you're working with Swing, using Jess/ Protege or in any other situation.