I can only tell you that I find it preferable to exercise session
control from a "single side". If it is from a clp file, then I call
the fucntions such as (focus) and (run). If it is from a Java program,
the Rete methods are used. I try to avoid having flow control in
rules; this tends to sneak up on you and catch you unawares when you
aren't looking. ;-)
-W