I read the paper when it first came out. The arguments proposed in the
paper are only applicable to rule engines that are object-oriented in
design and not applicable to expert system shells like JESS, Clips or
ART.

The limitations are the result of the design of the rule engine and
not a limitation of the algorithm. Engines that use functional
LISP/Prolog like design do not have these limittions. Claiming RETE is
not good for CEP is a misunderstanding of RETE algorithm. Let's not
confuse the limitations of a specific product(s) with the algorithm.

There are many ways to solve the problem that do not require having
3600 facts. Trying to brute force a solution is neither elegant or
efficient.