I agree with Wolfgang and Peter regarding 'One of the shortcomings of
Rete....',

The CEP functionality used by other Expert Systems is just managing
the time slice and managing that information distro to Rete.
Unfortunately some other expert systems that advertise CEP tend to
bundle the feature list with the expert system itself (much like
spreadsheet based rules & 'decision tables') and make it seem like
their algorithm is more capable, when in fact its just open source
libraries and middle-ware wrapped around a Rete. This is turn makes
other expert systems seem less capable because they dont bundle in
extra libraries.

Not to let this go off on a tangent, i think its been well addressed
at this point that Rete isn't limited. It is true that Jess doesn't
automatically include a library with the functions related to CEP that
you desire, but an expert system shell shouldn't automatically contain
this any more than it should contain a Sudoku solver or Miss Manners
;P You just have to customize and create the functions you need.

Going back to your original question, what is the problem you are
trying to attempt to correct or solve with CEP and JESS? Perhaps with
more detail we can guide you on how to do this with Jess.

V/R
-Socrates Frangis
-Mathematician & Software Engineer