well, since Fagin in Oliver! is also the slightly warped figure he is, being
created by a queer writer who likes the character but nonetheless sees him as
full of conflicted interests, I will put this out there:  he is indeed
nurturing the boys in this way, and does keep a roof over their heads, feeds
them and lives as badly as they do, while still garnering secret treasure ...
and yet also perhaps can even be read as having a repressed eye for those
boys as it were.  not the Dodger, per se -- their partnership is clearly
pragmatic; and yet in the film, once Fagin and his gang have fled the hideout
lair and Fagin reprises "Reviewing the Situation" (contemplating going
straight, from his criminal life, to "get myself a wife"... he can't quite
fact that prospect in the end), it is Dodger who stands on a street corner
and metaphorically/musically seduces him back to their old life of crime.

one more pickpocket/orphan note [cf costumes as seen in the film]:  the
proto-mod look of the old Victorian finery in a motley mix & match is by the
way very much in evidence on the many cute adolescent boy actors in Fagin's
pickpocket den.  this is not to be confused with the slightly younger boys in
the orphanage scenes in their grey uniforms (we don't know whether Fagin's
boys are actually orphans).

I haven't seen this version, but I think the revival of the show stars that
famous Australian drag queen actor as Fagin (the one whose Dame Edna
character has run for decades), Barry --? can't remember his name.  He's
supposedly quite good.  A kleyne velt.

- Eve

Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network  http://shamash.org
A service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an
online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/

* * FREE JEWISH LEARNING * *
Shamash invites you to join MyJewishLearning.com, a comprehensive,
objective, authoritative and interactive learning resource in all areas
of Judaism.  Free membership via http://www.myjewishlearning.com/shamash