I sent this reply directly to the original sender. But since no one has yet
mentioned the sources I suggested, I am copying it to the list.

Dear Alf,

In a message dated 4/21/03 7:31:27 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Hi There,
>

>Can anyone out there help me with Biographies of Jewish musicians and
composers
>of popular and jazz music, in particular George M Cohan

Have you tried a simple Google search on the names that you are interested
in?

Unfortunately you'll have a hard time finding Cohan in a Jewish composers
list--he wasn't Jewish (although his name certainly sounds Cohenesque). He
was of Irish descent and was baptised. Musicals101.com is a great source of
info on all things musical theatre related. Here is the Cohan bio URL:
>http://www.musicals101.com/cohanbio1.htm<

To answer your question, one of the better one-volume sources of Jewish
musicians (and I think also well-researched as well) is _Great Jews in Music_
by Darryl Lyman, and its companion volume, _Great Jews on Stage and Screen_
published by Jonathan David Publishers (who publish a lot of wonderful books
about Judaism). If it is still in print, I'm sure you can get it on Amazon or
one of the other big netbased booksellers.

Good luck.

Best wishes,
Steve

Steve Barnett
Composer/Arranger/Producer
Barnett Music Productions
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network  http://shamash.org
A service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an
online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/

* * FREE JEWISH LEARNING * *
Shamash invites you to join MyJewishLearning.com, a comprehensive,
objective, authoritative and interactive learning resource in all areas
of Judaism.  Free membership via http://www.myjewishlearning.com/shamash