From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2003 6:04 PM
Subject: Re: Biography of Jewish musicians & composers

> I sent this reply directly to the original sender. But since no one has
yet
> mentioned the sources I suggested, I am copying it to the list.
>
> Dear Alf,
>
> In a message dated 4/21/03 7:31:27 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> >Hi There,
> >

> >Can anyone out there help me with Biographies of Jewish musicians and
> composers
> >of popular and jazz music, in particular George M Cohan
> >
> Have you tried a simple Google search on the names that you are interested
> in?
>
> Unfortunately you'll have a hard time finding Cohan in a Jewish composers
> list--he wasn't Jewish (although his name certainly sounds Cohenesque). He
> was of Irish descent and was baptised. Musicals101.com is a great source
of
> info on all things musical theatre related. Here is the Cohan bio URL:
> >http://www.musicals101.com/cohanbio1.htm<
>
> To answer your question, one of the better one-volume sources of Jewish
> musicians (and I think also well-researched as well) is _Great Jews in
Music_
> by Darryl Lyman, and its companion volume, _Great Jews on Stage and
Screen_
> published by Jonathan David Publishers (who publish a lot of wonderful
books
> about Judaism). If it is still in print, I'm sure you can get it on Amazon
or
> one of the other big netbased booksellers.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Best wishes,
> Steve
>
> Steve Barnett
> Composer/Arranger/Producer
> Barnett Music Productions
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network  http://shamash.org
A service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an
online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/

* * FREE JEWISH LEARNING * *
Shamash invites you to join MyJewishLearning.com, a comprehensive,
objective, authoritative and interactive learning resource in all areas
of Judaism.  Free membership via http://www.myjewishlearning.com/shamash