Hi,

I'm not certain JFS is the culprit here, but at least it's a suspect :-)
I have a 150Gb filesystem on software RAID5 with JFS117, kernel 2.4.28.  The
box is a 4way 500MHz Xeon with 2Gb.

I do a find in a directory that contains 5-600,000 files - which just
about makes the box grind to a halt.  The machine is not heavily loaded as such,
but does write 2 new files/sec to the same filesystem.  Or tries to.

I fully appreciate that having that many files in a single directory is not
exactly
the most optimal, but as they are only accessed once a week for deletion (it's a
trashcan), I haven't bothered with dividing into subdirs.

Anyway, 1) am I right in suspecting JFS in this and 2) is it to be expected?

thanks

--
regards,
Per Jessen, Zurich