On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 08:41:35PM +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 18:40:58 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
>
> >I do a find in a directory that contains 5-600,000 files - which just
> >about makes the box grind to a halt.  The machine is not heavily loaded as
> >such,
> >but does write 2 new files/sec to the same filesystem.  Or tries to.
>
> I need to add - at the same time kswapd is very, very busy, despite only
> about 1Gb of
> the 2Gb main core being used/active.
>

> /Per

Yes, this is a consequence of the way memory is partitioned on IA32
machines (which I'm assuming you're using).  If you look at the amount
of memory being used by the kernel slab cache, I'd bet it's using much
of that 1GB for kernel data structures (inodes, dentrys, etc) and
whenever the kernel needs to allocate some more memory it has to evict
some of those structures which is a very expensive process.

Look at /proc/slabinfo and add up the total number of slabs.

Sonny