Jmeter only has as much memory as the Java VM (-Xmx) which is the same for
ANT (though yes you would have ANT's footprint), I prefer ANT myself , more
convenient , portable etc , havent had any memory issues that wouldnt have
happened on the command line.we pass environment specific parameters etc
easily from the Ant script...

I guess its a matter of personal preference. I dont know if ANT works when
you are using Jmeter to run clients remotely so that might be another reason
for you...

regards
deepak