On 29 Aug 2008 at 14:48, Jonathan Gutow wrote:
> It shows up in the page creation data at the bottom.  Here's the
> mangled text at the end of a document (I've put "" around parts that
> come out funny):
> Armaz"-"n de la p""gina y JavaScript generados por la funci"-"n
> exportar a p""gina web de Jmol 11.6.RC12_dev 2008-08-14 15:55 el Aug
> 29, 2008.

Right. I went through all the translations and there are only 2 phrases (this
is one) that I put
the straight accented characters, not using html entities. So that's an easy
fix, I just have to
edit that entry in the Jmol-es.PO file.
Anyway, one would have expected that given the specification of the charset in
the html
page they would show correctly both ways, but I've learned to live with this
problem before.

> The same characters show up wrong in the title to the page which is
> input in the dialog box by the user.  I don't see a way around that
> as it does look fine within the application, the problem can only be
> solved if the user creating the page notices it.

Yes, that's the other one that is not encoded with entities. The problem is,
this one goes
from the PO file (or its equivalent inside the app jar) into the Export to Web
interface, and
I'm quite sure that if I put entities they will show as such in the interface,
looking quite weird,
although then the page will look OK.
But the user is supposed to insert his own page title, so the problem will
reappear. I don't
think we can do much more about that, unless we find the source of the
inadequate reading
of the character code. The author will have to learn to input the page title
using entities or to
edit the page later.
Are you seeing the page from a web server? In my experience some servers impose
UTF-8
although the page code specifies iso-8859-1. As I said, in my Windows PC
everything looks
OK (haven't checked from a server though).

I am submitting the updated po file now.

On 29 Aug 2008 at 15:20, Robert Hanson wrote:
> Jonathan, you might want to go back and flag all GT messages that would go
> into HTML in a
> special way. I think you are right that the translation of special characters
> has to be done
> differently in that case.

Yes in theory, but any flag will not be seen when translating, at least using
poEdit.
I need to write some instructions to localize the Export to Web module (I
recall there's a
section guiding translators in the Wiki already)

I still can try and see if hex or unicode encoding in the PO file will be a
solution (but it's quite
cumbersome to write those codes)