All this playing with the VRML export is making me think.

First we had the POV-ray export, but that's basically a sophisticated  image,
right?

Then we have VRML, which I am extending with not much difficulty, thanks to
Bob's
implementation of new bits of code.

I've also prepared X3D export. This is a superset of VRML (which dates back to
1997), and
its claimed successor in every webpage I find. It is very similar, but apart
from some
additions which we shouldn't need for Jmol, it has the advantage (I am assuming
it is) to be
XML. I can have it ready in parallel to whatever we do with VRML, or we can
leave it hidden
in a drawer until someone requests it. However, it seems that 3DPDF won't take
it, so we
must stick to VRML.

And then we have U3D, which would be the best choice for going after 3DPDF.
This latter is
something we definitely want!

I'm starting to collect ideas and links for all these in the Wiki
http://wiki.jmol.org:81/index.php/3D_Formats
>From what I am reading, there is even the chance that Jmol could produce the
>PDF with
interactive model embedded! Or at least will ease the construction of the PDF
in another
software, by providing the U3D file.

So, my concern is: the current design of the exporters is to match the
generators, in order to
produce (with both) images or snapshots, i.e. 2D depictions -- that Jmol
updates constantly
while you rotate, if I am getting it ok. Therefore, all coordinates are
converted to 2D for the
exporters.

But now we have these formats that define 3D objects, so we are having to fetch
those 2D
coordinates and convert them back to 3D. Wouldn't it make more sense to receive
3D
coordinates directly?  That is, maybe we need a set of 2D renderers/exporters
and a set of
3D exporters, which are designed different.
Of course, I haven't got the grasp of the inner design of the java modules, so
this is just a
naive view.

Please, enlighten me :)