On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Geoffrey Hutchison <geo...@pitt.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A colleague and I are working on a website with JSmol for iOS and Android
> use. We've noticed that performance isn't great on iPad 2, which is
> unfortunate because there are still a heck of a lot of them out there (esp.
> when you include the iPad mini non-retina).

Pretty much stuck with that. I would not spend any time trying to get a new
program running on an old computer. There is no reward.

> I've seen anecdotal reports that GWT produces more optimized JavaScript
> than Java2Script(?!). Before we go ahead, I wanted to know if anyone else
> had tried this and/or any reasons for picking Java2Script for JSmol.

I doubt it. Also you cannot use GWT with Jmol. GWT is not modular, and you
would end up loading something like 10 MB of code, compressed, every time.
The iPad 2 will just choke on that.

The thing to do is to play with platformSpeed. What are you trying to do
that is a problem?

Bob

> Thanks,
> -Geoff

Robert M. Hanson
Larson-Anderson Professor of Chemistry
Chair, Department of Chemistry
St. Olaf College
Northfield, MN
http://www.stolaf.edu/people/hansonr

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900