It has nothing to do with keys. Just hold a mousebutton and drag (the
dotted line should disappear when you drag)

You can also use:
http://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/jsmol/jsmol.htm
(right mouse button menu > Measurements > ...)

Real world example:
You start an angle measurement.
You want to rotate the molecule in order to click the 3rd atom
Try to rotate the model while performing the measurement
(I would expect the dotted line to re-appear after I've rotated the model)