Yes, but one has always been able to load JavaScript from any server -- the
script tag src attribute has no cross-domain restrictions. This is standard
protocol by even the most advanced JavaScript libraries. Loading Google
hosted libraries, for example (
https://developers.google.com/speed/libraries/), is done this way. As are
all ads.

Thus, there is no safety in any site that has been hacked by an intruder on
the host server. (Which is what I think you mean by "plant a link on a
perfectly respectable web page.") That's not what the AJAX cross-domain
business is trying to prevent. My understanding of what that is trying to
prevent is for actions by ads and other add-ons embedded within a page to
have access to cross-domain page resources -- looking at passwords and
such. Without this restriction, for example, an ad might completely rewrite
an accompanying page or insert just the sort of links you are referring to.

Jmol could in principle function reasonably well using just standard
cross-domain script tags to load its code. The only reason that is not done
is that that requires an asynchronous mechanism -- a callback indicating
that the code is loaded. The problem with that is that it makes reflection
(on-call loading of modules) nearly impossible when that need appears deep
into a series of nested function calls. JSmol does have built into it an
experimental mechanism for this, but it's not fully functional yet.

What's happening in this particular case is just that chemapps.stolaf.edu
requires jsmol.php to add the access-control-allow-origin header to the
JavaScript files on that site in order to load them synchronously.

I think, though, we are seeing a move to have hosted libraries such as
those from Google, and that requires cross-domain scripting. In general, I
agree with this statement:

*Always host a copy of the scripts on your own domain and serve them from
there. It also gives you a more reliable site. *

However, that presents its own security issues. Part of the idea of hosted
libraries is that if security flaws are found, then they can by corrected
once at one site and not require widespread distribution and fixes at
innumerable sites.