On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Bruce Tattershall <
bruce.tattersh...@newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear Bob
>

> The chirality calculation is clearly useful.
>

> I have tried it on my chiral phosphorus compounds, e.g. as in
>
> https://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/bruce.tattershall/structs/bpthiq.php
>
> and it finds the chiral carbons in the organic ligands and successfully
> labels them (as R in this case),
>
> but it does not find the chirality of the phosphorus atoms to which they
> are attached.

It's a work in progress.

Limitations:

 no parallel chirality paths
 not processing inositols correctly
 no lone-pair business
 standard E/Z, R/S, r/s only; no allenes, no planar asymmetry

> I have no idea of how this works, but would it be possible to extend it
> easily to phosphorus chirality (for which
>
> one uses the same rules but counts the lone pair as lowest priority)?

Lone pairs wouldn't be too difficult to add, particularly if they are
limited to P and S. They are definitely in the IUPAC 2013 spec. I'd like to
add imine stereochemistry as well.

> When I first got into measuring NMR spectra of diastereomers of such
> compounds about 15 years ago,
>
> I found it very hard to get my inorganic chemist’s head around the
> chirality implications.  It would
>
> have been very useful to have a tool to work it out for me.
>

> If you are going to elements other than carbon, then I guess that besides
> phosphorus, the inorganic
>
> chemist’s favourite, the chirality at silicon, germanium and arsenic could
> also be useful to people.

Silicon and ammonium are just like carbon, I think. As and P no problem.

Definitely not going to higher valencies any time soon.

Higher priorities are allenes and getting the darned inositol business
working  correctly. But maybe P and S and As are so easy I should just do
them....