I have just been revamping some teaching material I wrote for (former)
colleagues — I am now “retired”. Most of this is numerical, but there is one
JSMol demo of the DNA double-helix. In the course of putting this in a
“responsive” web page I noticed a slight bug that I can’t figure out.

The development page is at http://motif.gla.ac.uk/FTB-R/dna.html

To reproduce the bug click on “Base-stacking” and then click it again. If the
DNA is spinning (the default) when it reverts to standard “side view” it stops
or slows down to a fraction of its former speed. This is with the latest
version of JSmol  14.20.2. To get it to start you have to switch spin off and
back on again. I could put a spin on command in the code, but that would mean
it would spin if the user had turned it off.

The coding of the controls is:

To load:

<script type="text/javascript">
  myJmol = Jmol.getApplet("myJmol", Info);
  Jmol.script(myJmol,"load mol/B11mer.txt; set background [51,51,51]; restrict
nucleic; colour cpk; rotate x 90; zoom 125; spin on;");
</script>

The Base-stacking button:

<script type="text/javascript">
Jmol.jmolCheckbox(myJmol, "reset;", "reset;rotate x 90;",
"&nbsp;Base-stacking");
</script>

Is there a fix for this, or do I just have to live with it?

David

Dr. David P. Leader,
Boyd Orr Building,
University of Glasgow