So it turns out that the source of my problems with developing with JSmol for
mobile is the horrendously vicious caching of Safari on the iPhone. This was
because I was switching between an old and new version of JSmol and Safari was
looking for old files.

1. One has to go into settings> safari,>advanced>website data>remove all
website data
2. Also shut down safari on phone, shut down phone and start up again.

I was able to fix my problems using either Angel’s suggestions or altering my
css.

However, I have reverted to an old version of JSmol because the following
command no longer works:

["select nucleic; colour cpk; colour green; select *a; colour white;",
" Distinguish chains" ],

The select *a; colour white; bit doesn’t work to colour the second chain white
on the recent Jmol version. Has the syntax has been changed? I could look
myself but this is really killing me.

Anyway the version I have now works on all Mac Browsers and the iPhone. I
imagine it will work on android.

Oh, there’s one more thing that would be nice. That is if you could scale the
frame as you switched to mobile, keeping the same proportions. For example, I
have width: 280, height: 280. As far as I can see from the instructions I can
set width: 100% but the height doesn’t change. Even serving different
hard-coded sizes for different sized viewports would help.

David (a.k.a Oliver Twist)

Dr. David P. Leader,
Boyd Orr Building,
University of Glasgow