On Mon, 15 Oct 2018, Michael Zangl wrote:

Since you are the one one objecting the loudest so far and won't be attending, what are the points that would convince you to do one of the following:

* Switch to a different build system

It must have advantages over the current one and must work offline and without third party server infrastructure.

* Switch to a different / decentralized source versioning system?

It must have advantages over the current one and must work without third party server infrastructure.

* Change the project layout fundamentally (different source dir layout)

I have no opinion here. Can't remember that I ever voiced either pro nor contra. If it makes sense why not? Thought the general rule applies here as well: It must have advantages over the current layout.

And changes must be incremental, like all JOSM changes.

* Change the way in which JOSM is started (e.g. to replace webstart)

I don't use Webstart myself, as I don't use Windows. Whatever solution is the best here should be implemented. In the history Webstart was not the suggested solution, people downloaded the installers or the JAR-files as main method. Webstart has a lot of advantages and keeping an method as simple as that working would be a fine goal.

But probably changing the exe to be a full-featured compiled Java exe is also a good way. That decision is up to the Windows users and developers.

For most proposals, you currently have a "is no option" opinion, which makes it difficult for us to discuss anything we could apply later.

Don't mix that: For the first two points I currently have a big no, as suggestions involve mostly relying on third party services (in case of git even on Microsoft). I'm too long in this business to ever do that again for a critical infrastructure component.

It was simply too often that services said "Sorry, we terminate this now" or even "We encriple this now" to me that I trust such things if I can do otherwise in a similar way. ATM we could simply copy our backup to a new server and go on in case our service is shutdown now (with some hard work reinstalling...). I don't want to give up that possibility for a bit of additional niceties.

Ciao