Couldn't agree more.

-----Original Message-----
From: jquery-en@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Chris W. Parker
Sent: vendredi 25 mai 2007 16:57
To: jquery-en@googlegroups.com
Subject: [jQuery] Re: Masked Input Field

On Thursday, May 24, 2007 11:36 AM Jörn Zaefferer <> said:

>> Although, security issues aside, I guess it could help to prevent
>> mistakes from your users. Would it make things easier for the user or
>> frustrating?
>>
> Clientside validation is all about usability.

A few points:

* Personally, I find it frustrating when applications (on the web)
automatically move my cursor from one box to another. Like when typing in a
date and there are three boxes for month, day, and year. I type in 11, press
<tab>, and type 24 to realize that I'm in the wrong box.

Maybe that wouldn't apply in this masked input fields case since the
interface is a little different but I can't say for sure without testing it.

Overall, I'm not very happy with applications that move my cursor around for
me or select text automatically. Like when you click into a form field
(phpMyAdmin comes to mind) and all the text is automatically selected.

* Even though "clientside validation is all about usability" many people
don't understand this and still use it as a security measure.

Chris.

Ce message Envoi est certifié sans virus connu.
Analyse effectuée par AVG.
Version: 7.5.467 / Base de données virus: 269.8.0/817 - Date: 24/05/2007
16:01