From: jquery-en@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Stephan Beal
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2007 1:21 PM
To: jQuery (English)
Subject: [jQuery] Re: How does everyone handle the constant updating of
jQuery and plug-ins?

On Jul 29, 6:49 pm, "Rick Faircloth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> An equitable system would have to be worked out, but no one
> who contributes would have been excluded...

The Debian team recently (some months ago) got into a political pickle
when they *hired* a release manager. The fact that anyone was getting
paid caused several of the developers to (reportedly) leave the team.
It wasn't necessarily that they wanted to be paid as well, but the
principal that some individuals were getting paid at all while
thousands of other contributors were not.

While the idea has its merits, i think a subscription service for
jQuery plugins would open up a similar can of worms. i agree
completely with Karl that donations should be voluntary, and that
nobody would complain about a monthly donation (whether it be 3 Euros
or 20 Euros). But while money has the potential to build bridges, it
more often than not just builds walls.