Is it possible that this is a bug in jQuery? From everything I've
read, this same problem existed in earlier versions of jQuery, those
less than 1.3. However, it persists in IE 6, 7, and 8, even using
jQuery 1.3.2.

I'll PayPal someone $20 if they can solve the issue and provide an
explanation detailing 1) the issue and 2) how to avoid it.