I think your suggestion is reasonable.

-> richard

Stanley M. Ho wrote:
Hi JSR 277 experts,

Since we have been discussing some issues around the module instances'
lifetime lately, I think it's probably a good time to bring up a related
topic for discussion.

As I reviewed the feedbacks from the EDR comments, from our previous
discussions, as well as from my discussions with the teams in SE and EE,
there were a few suggestions related to the module instances' lifetime:

1. The module system shall provide a way to monitor various events, e.g.
module initialized, module released, etc.
2. The module system shall allow a module to have activator code. The
activator code would be executed right before the module is fully
initialized and when the instance is released.
3. A module shall have a way to be stopped.

Having these suggestions don't mean we have to do all of them, and I
would like to get your inputs.

From my perspective, having a way to monitor module system's events
(i.e. #1) seems very reasonable and useful, especially the use cases are
very common. In fact, many teams in SE have expressed the needs in
monitoring the module system's events in their class libraries in some
degrees, so these libraries would react and behave appropriately. There
are also other class libraries sitting on top of the JRE that have
similar needs.

For #2, this is a use case I gathered from EE, and this would be used
mainly for registering and unregistering services when a module has been
initialized or is released. Not that I think this is unimportant, but I
am not yet convinced this is something we need to support directly at
the module system level. For instance, if the module system notification
mechanism (i.e. #1) is available, it should be possible for the EE
server (or other apps that require similar functionality) to build a
simple activator layer on top of the module system.

For #3, the use case is that some EE servers might want to have the
ability to "stop" a module by disabling the module's classloader when
the module instance is released. In general, disabling a classloader is
an uncommon and dangerous operation to perform, and it also violates the
current classloading spec. While I agreed we should make this use case
possible, I don't think this is something we want to push into the
module system.; I believe there are alternatives we could consider to
achieve the same result. For example, suppose there are APIs available
to disable a classloader (might come from the classloading project) and
the module system notification mechanism (i.e. #1) is available, it
should be possible for the EE servers to hook into the notification
mechanism, and disable the specific classloader it wants when a module
instance is released from the module system.

To keep things simple, I suggest we should support #1, and I hope this
should be sufficient to enable other applications (e.g. EE servers) to
support #2 and #3. I would like to hear what your thoughts are.

- Stanley