It seems simple enough to put the module in a failed state if a
module-init event handler throws an exception. Is this not sufficient?

The lazy init feature sounds like a nice optimization, but doesn't
strike me as a must-have. Have you seen use-cases that require it? Are
they init order issues?

(I am sensitive to your meta point here, but... If 277 is going to
exist, there are some rather obvious, desirable features which it will
need, just as OSGi needed them. I _don't_ like the fact that we are
re-inventing rather than re-using OSGi, but that is how it has played
out, despite all protestations. As long as we can still attain the goal
of meaningful interoperation, it seems irresponsible to leave out
features like this. And yes, we must nail down the interoperation model
before we go much/any farther.)

Glyn Normington wrote:

Yes, but my point was that separating lifecycle out in that way would
make it harder to enforce constraints like "if a module's state is
initialised, the module's activator completed successfully".

JSR 291 solved this problem with additional module states and error
handling. It also supports lazy module initialisation triggered by the
first class load from a module. How much of this should JSR 277 re-invent?

Glyn

*Bryan Atsatt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>* wrote on 22/06/2007 06:12:48 PM:

> [...]
appropriately. There
 > >  > > are also other class libraries sitting on top of the JRE that have
 > >  > > similar needs.
 > >  > >
 > >  > > For #2, this is a use case I gathered from EE, and this would
be used
 > >  > > mainly for registering and unregistering services when a
module has
 > > been
 > >  > > initialized or is released. Not that I think this is
unimportant, but I
 > >  > > am not yet convinced this is something we need to support
directly at
 > >  > > the module system level. For instance, if the module system
 > > notification
 > >  > > mechanism (i.e. #1) is available, it should be possible for the EE
 > >  > > server (or other apps that require similar functionality) to
build a
 > >  > > simple activator layer on top of the module system.
 > >  > >
 > >  > > For #3, the use case is that some EE servers might want to
have the
 > >  > > ability to "stop" a module by disabling the module's
classloader when
 > >  > > the module instance is released. In general, disabling a
classloader is
 > >  > > an uncommon and dangerous operation to perform, and it also
 > > violates the
 > >  > > current classloading spec. While I agreed we should make this
use case
 > >  > > possible, I don't think this is something we want to push into the
 > >  > > module system.; I believe there are alternatives we could
consider to
 > >  > > achieve the same result. For example, suppose there are APIs
available
 > >  > > to disable a classloader (might come from the classloading
project) and
 > >  > > the module system notification mechanism (i.e. #1) is
available, it
 > >  > > should be possible for the EE servers to hook into the
notification
 > >  > > mechanism, and disable the specific classloader it wants when
a module
 > >  > > instance is released from the module system.
 > >  > >
 > >  > >
 > >  > > To keep things simple, I suggest we should support #1, and I
hope this
 > >  > > should be sufficient to enable other applications (e.g. EE
servers) to
 > >  > > support #2 and #3. I would like to hear what your thoughts are.
 > >  > >
 > >  > > - Stanley

 > > /
 > > /
 > >
 > > /Unless stated otherwise above:
 > > IBM United Kingdom Limited - Registered in England and Wales with
number
 > > 741598.
 > > Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hampshire
PO6 3AU/

/
/