Dear boarders -- I circulated that Heidegger/Juenger paper to you all before I
had actually read it myself.

However, I have a number of problems with it -- I really had to stop reading
when I got to page 14/15, and found  Juenger's thought compared to political
puppets and real lightweights such as Fukuyama and -- worst still -- the Neo
conservative 'school' as a whole.

Turnbull, the author of the paper wrote --

"If one examines the totality of ( Juenger's ) work as a whole, both pre and
post second world war -- especially the ideas encapsulated in the late novels
Aladin's Problem and Eumeswill -- Juenger's philosophy can be seen to be much
closer to the 'cynical' and 'politically disengaged' forms of conservatism that
dominated the late 20Th century's intellectual and political landscape (
represented in the neo liberal and neo Conservative modes of conservatism by
Fukuyama and Wolfe.)"

For a start, it's patently and utterly absurd that the author describes the Neo
Cons and Fukuyama as 'politically disengaged,' and I don't need to explain my
self further on that point.

But even worse is Turnbull comparing the wisdom and insight of Juenger to the
banal outlook of the Neo Cons, surely one the worst, most fraudulent, most
vacuous,viciously and amorally hegemonic and morally void 'political schools'
of the 20Th Century?

No thanks.

I couldn't read the paper any further than that.

Any comments from the rest of the boarders?

Greg.

Antwort per Email an