I'm not familiar if there's any way to unlock/force through VMWare but Juju
doesn't currently support the idea of adding nics to running instances at
this moment. It's something we're definitely looking for the future as
clouds do support things like hot plugging nics. It might be worth a test
to see if you can adjust the nics on the VMWare side. In some cases you can
work around Juju like adding storage to the root disk by upgrading the
instance through the cloud tooling.