On Friday 02 November 2007 17:10, Neil Bartlett wrote:
> This leaves two other options. A commercial organisation could do it,
> but they would need to be persuaded that they it could make money. For
> example Sun might be prepared to do it in the interests of enriching
> the Java ecosystem... however they seem to be betting on Ruby rather
> than OCaml at the moment. Another possibility would be a tools vendor
> like Borland (or CodeGear), but it would only work for them if they
> could build an entire suite of tools around the new language and
> demonstrate far higher developer productivity versus Java.

I can see why Sun would bet on Ruby rather than Java: because web programming
is a rich Java market and Ruby plays to that strength. OCaml is much less
interesting for web programming and much more interesting for technical users
like scientists. I believe great things could be done with an ML targetting
the JVM.

> I do not think that the above is likely to happen, so the third option
> is that the open source community does it. Probably it would require a
> sufficiently committed individual developer to write the core as a
> proof of concept, which will draw in other developers. Who better than
> Jon Harrop, one of the most outspoken proponents of OCaml in the
> English-speaking world? ;-)

I was afraid you would say that. ;-)

Actually, if I do this then I'm not sure if it would be an open-source project
or a commercial product. Perhaps an IDE to provide a development environment
for the ocamljava project would be best. I haven't managed to get that
working yet but it looks to be by far the most interesting of the ones I've
seen.

I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks!