Attila Szegedi wrote:
> Also, I'm talking solely about the problem of selecting among
> overloaded Java methods invoked from a dynamic language here. Dynamic
> languages are better off without a concept of an overloaded method
> altogether, as they can mostly have a single method accepting any
> types of arguments anyway :-)

 ... which then has to do the pattern matching and dispatching itself,
and has to implement that itself.

http://www.artima.com/rubycs/articles/patterns_sexp_dslsP.html
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-pydisp.html
http://thinkpython.blogspot.com/2005/03/dylan-style-multiple-dispatch.html

Just think of all the visitor implementations out there which would
become unnecessary with proper multi-dispatch...
(Note that Multi-Dispatch doesn't really need to involve types...
pattern matching is the more general way to do it, eg. see Mathematica).
As for how to choose between overloaded versions:
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/ManipulatingValueLists.html