Hi all ...

  I'm almost done with the alpha port of kbuild-2.5 .
The "almost" part is documenting the installable tagets if they make it in +
an issue whith building using 2 trees (see below).

  The "standard" (vmlinu[xz]) booting methods build and boot, the other 2
build, but are not tested . I'll cry for testers on the alpha related lists
once the kbuild team has reviewd the code .

some questions now in no particular order :

- the most used kernel format in the alpha world is the vmlinux.gz rather
than vmlinuz.  is "vmlinuz" an standard for kbuild2.5, or should i keep the
old vmlinuz.gz ?

- I'm not quite happy with the bootp installable (you can specify an initrd
that most likely should contain modules you just built , so does it make
sense to put this target in the list ?) comments ?

- Is there a way *not to* change the main Makefile.in when adding targets
other than vmlinux/z ( and shouldn't we remove any reference to
bzimage/zimage from the main Makefile.in as it is an ix86 only kernel format)
?

- I have to build a tool with the local cc :arch/alpha/boot/tools/objstrip
that includes <asm/elf.h>. for the build in the same tree as the source,
adding linux/include works ok, but the problem is for building in a separate
tree . basicaly, the asm -> asm-alpha is not created in the source tree (and
apparently not in the objects tree) , and even if it was created, the
includes list lacks the objtree/include in the include path . How do i force
the creation of the asm link, and should i add in the include list
objtree/include  ? ( and this is a pain as the system *has* an
/usr/include/asm/elf.h wich is outdated , so it builds ok, but then yell that
vmlinux is for an unsupported e_machine ... )

now for the more general kbuild-2.5 questions :
- with kbuild-2.5, if i make menuconfig , change config options. do i have to
make clean before make installable ?
if not, I had some troubles (related to network and frame buffer) at link
stage . for example : fbmem.c adds calls to initfunctions of fb drivers
compiled in. These calls are conditionned by CONFIG_ options . When removing
one of the drivers from the config, fbmem.o didn't get rebuilt, and screwed
the linking . Is that a core kbuild-2.5 problem ,a Makefile.in issue , or my
fault of not having cleaned before rebuilding ? I did't investigate any
further, and make cleaned ...

Thank you for the review/answers

ghoz