[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greg Banks)  wrote on 19.08.02 in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> In  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=101387128818052&w=2
> David Woodhouse gives an idea of what would be necessary to get a new
> language+parser accepted.  Can you achieve that yet?

As for the idea of a new parser, if we could define a parser interface
that can be made to work with both menuconfig and xconfig (creating a
working oldconfig and config seems rather trivial), then writing a common
parser to support that interface, and testing it David's way, should not
be too hard. Reading and writing .config, and parsing the various
config.in and Configure.help files, shouldn't give any unsurmountable
problems.

But *can* we design such an interface? (And can we get people to port
menuconfig and xconfig to those new interfaces?) Can we even agree on the
requirements of such an interface?

(And, incidentally, if we had that, then possibly we could put a parser
for a different config language in which has the exact same interface, and
thus can use the existing frontends, at some later date.)

MfG Kai