[Brendan J Simon]
> Is there a site that documents the changes the Kai has made or is
> making ?

Well, there's http://www.??.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.5/ChangLog-*,
search for "kai@".  He seems to have started in 2.5.7.

Off the top of my head, the main kbuild2.5 features 2.5.40 *doesn't*
have would be:

* separate source and object trees - but see below

* source tree overlays, aka "shadow tree support"

* backward timestamp tracking

* nonrecursive make

* speed - largely due to the nonrecursive make, I think

The backward timestamp tracking was implemented because it is required
for proper handling of source overlays.  It is useful in its own right,
but in the 15+-year history of 'make', most of the world seems to have
gotten along fine without it, so it's hard to justify as *necesssary*
outside that context.

> I'm mainly interested in building in seperate directories, building
> from readonly src directories and having a single makefile so that a
> complete dependency graph is generated.

The separate build directory is something Kai is currently working on,
and I'm guessing it will work in another week or two.  Most of the
infrastructure is in place already.

The "complete dependency graph", one feature of nonrecursive make,
might be necessary for 100% correct and efficient MODVERSIONS handling,
but it is not necessary for most other tasks, I believe.  It certainly
makes it *easier* to implement "minimum necessary change" build
semantics, but I am not convinced it's *necessary* for this.

> It sounds like politics has killed another great project.  Hopefully
> Kai can do a good job of getting some of great kbuild work into the
> kernel (in some form).

He has been doing an excellent job so far, in my opinion - especially
considering the mess the build system was in to begin with.  The
remaining kbuld2.5 features - source overlays, backward timestamp
tracking, and nonrecursive make (and the accompanying speed increase) -
are probably impossible with the current architecture.

Peter