The process is described in the customization guide you mentioned.

You have added this RDF to the semantic repository.  This means that now the
gazetteer will be able to match the instances described there (searching for
their labels in the texts) and will create Lookup annotations, when it finds a
match.  The lookup process is generally only one side of the  IE process.
Lookup annotations are further examined by some logic to determine their
validity, or they take part in the  recognition of  more complex phrases. That
is why they are not left after the IE has finished over the document.

Tip: You can disable the last resource in the pipeline and run it again over a
document to see all the annotations that are created in the process - also the
temporary ones. This will show you the Lookup annotations as well. You can
search for your Topic  instances there.

Once you have the lookups, you should tell KIM that they are important for you
and you want to keep them. Add the  Topic annotation type to the
com.ontotext.kim.KIMConstants.IE_ANN_TYPES list.  This will tell KIM not to
clear them in the end of the IE process.  Now what is left for you to do, is to
create a Topic annotation over the  Lookup for the topic that the Gazetteer has
created.  You can use a simple Jape rule to do that:

Phase:  GazTopic
Input: Lookup

Rule: Topic
(
 {Lookup.class == "http://proton.semanticweb.org/2006/05/protont#Topic"}
):topic
-->
:topic.Topic = {rule = Topic, class = :topic.Lookup.class,
inst=:topic.Lookup.inst}

This is all that you need to include your topics in the IE process and to be
able to see them in the graphical interface.

Hope this helps
philip