Good news! I just got word that the 1U chassis with hotswap drives for our new Sparky has come into stock and should be shipping to me today. Sparky's replacement is getting close...

Since CPU and memory prices tend to drop over time, I held off ordering either of those components until I knew that the chassis was on its way. Meanwhile, Intel went and released the Quad core Xeon CPUs, which drop right into any system that was previously set up to accept the dual core chips.

The original order specs were for a pair of 2.0GHz dual core Xeon 5130's, and the cost for those is about $350/ea. Now we have the option of choosing the 2.0GHz quad core Xeon E5335 for about $730. This would leave one socket free for further expansion, and would only cost slightly more.

Then again, I have trouble envisioning that Sparky would ever need more than its four cores, and wonder if it wouldn't be better to spread the heat load between the pair of CPUs and heatsinks instead of cramming them all into one.

Anyone have wisdom on this?

--
Joshua Penix                                http://www.binarytribe.com
Binary Tribe           Linux Integration Services & Network Consulting

--
KPLUG-Steer@kernel-panic.org