I have an 1835 VW engine that I will be starting soon. My question: Is
it okay
to start the engine and run it a minute or two or two, without damage? ( It
would be
convenient not to have the prop in the way)
Running an engine for a short time can cause other problems, depending how
long before it will be started again.
By only running for a short time, you get condensation in the engine,
because it does not get hot enough to get rid of the moisture.
So if the engine is to be stored,and not used ,rust MAY form on the bore
etc.
I have my new RG2000 in and out of my Kr and have not started it for that
reason. So I remove the plugs, insert some oil and crank over to get oil
through the crank bearings, then refit the plugs and spin over again to get
the oil over the valves and cylinder calls under compression. I do get some
oil drip out of the exhaust.
This works well.
Others may not agree.

Phillip Matheson