Larry Flesner wrote:

>Sounds like an engine tear down to me.  I'd hate to even run that thing again without a flak vest.<

Thanks to all for the feedback on the ominous internal noises and ideas as to what it could be, and the agreement that an immediate tear down was prudent.   Really I was giving myself a sanity check when I posted the noise video, given that I actually tore the engine down Friday, pressure washed the case halves and cleaned parts Saturday and Sunday.   I thoroughly inspected everything that I thought could possibly be responsible for that noise....and found ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG!  At least nothing that I could find, FWIW.   All gears were pristine, no cracks, no slop anywhere, and nothing broken anywhere.  The bearings look practically new, as do the pistons and cylinders, as they should since I replaced the pistons, cylinders, valves, guides, and exhaust system only 154 hours ago, June 5th, 2021!

The only thing that I can imagine would be causing that noise would be the slight side to side movement of the connecting rods on the rod journals of the crank, and I see no reason why they would have an alternating side load on them to cause that....well, maybe because it was rotating the prop back and forth!   And they DO have exactly that same frequency noise, so I measured the side-to-side clearance.  The tightest is .008", while the loosest is .012".  The manual says .020" is the max, so I'm barely at half the allowable tolerance.  And these are ARP rods made for Type 1 VWs, which are pretty high quality.  And maybe it could be "piston slap", but all pistons are properly installed, not backwards.

I even checked for loose magnets in the generator rotor but found none.  I've ordered a bunch of gaskets and seals, new pushrod tubes, bearings, and all that standard stuff and have disassembled and pressure washed the heads, and today will walnut hull blast them and pressure wash again, install new exhaust valves (I had four new spares on hand).  Before I reinstall the engine, I'll put a prop on it and give it the same test as before to see if it still makes the noise.  At this point, I'm thinking I'll reinstall it and fly it whether or not it makes that noise.  Given that the last flight was uneventful with that going on, and after I noticed the noise and the oil change and the valves were adjusted, it ran up just fine in front of the hangar, and still made the noise afterward, I'm just thinking it's a noise it's going to make.  All of my last five flights were something like 3-4 hour flights each, including Oshkosh and the KR Gathering.  If nothing else, your replies to my post tell me that I wasn't an idiot to tear it down for a "look see", so thanks a lot for that!  I should have it back together after my new Revmaster stainless steel exhaust system arrives in two weeks or so.  So if nothing else, the noise may have prevented an inflight fire from the compromised exhaust system.  How's that for a bright side?

And then late yesterday (after I wrote the stuff above), an offline plausible explanation from a good engineer buddy, motor head,  and KRnet lurker, who hypothesized some possible culprits, such as a slightly worn aluminum cam gear, and maybe cam thrust bearing surface as well.   The gear LOOKS fine, nothing irregular, but replacing it is pretty easy right now, so I will.  I just happen to have a new one on hand already.  Today I reinstalled the cam with the old cam thrust bearing in place, and indeed the end clearance was .011" rather than the .004-.005" range given in the manual.  And it makes a noise that sounds identical to what's in the video.  It's worth considering that during engine operation, all of these engine parts are being driven in one direction and are under a load, and therefore there's probably no "slack" to cause much in the way of noise or further wear.  That would also explain why it runs just fine, but makes weird noises when rotated by hand, which is likely harmless.

 I  already have a new bearing set, as well as four new stainless exhaust valves from Revmaster, and will swap those out, as well as cleaning up all the intake valves and refreshing the valve seats. Last time I checked compression all four cylinders were either 112 or 113 PSI, which is an unheard of narrow spread.  The compression ratio is set so low because I deliberately went "low compression" with this engine for reliability reasons.  There's something about "dead-stick" landings that doesn't appeal to me!  And this slippery little KR2 will still do 160 MPH wide open, while getting incredible fuel economy.

As I put it back together, I'll have crank and cam in one half of the case, and can test for noise before I even close the case, so that'll be some interesting data points as well, such as gear lash using old gear and new gear cam.  That may very well tell me exactly what the noise is, and whether or not it's a real reliability issue, or just a nuisance noise when rotating the prop.   I'll let you know how it goes, but it'll probably be a week or two before I get to that point.

Thanks for the validation that tearing it down was a good idea! And honestly, my money was on a broken cam or crank too, given the tone of the noise.  See below message from the "lurker" with excellent suggestions.  Again, thanks a lot for all the input! See the most insightful message with several options below:

Watched and listened to your VW noise video.
_/I'm not experienced with those engines/_, but by
estimating the degrees of rotation and comparing
the number of clunks heard, it would seem to relate
to the number of valves/lobes on the cam.
(8 valves, 4 cyls, 360 degrees.  It seemed to be
4 clunks per 45 degrees in the video = 32 in one
rotation.) Hard to be sure about the relation due
to no degree wheel, just listening and watching.

The valve springs put some load on the cam lobes
during rotation, both while lifting and releasing,
which is transferred to the cam gear if rotated by
hand - - - and the cam gear meshes with the crank
gear, right?  Those two gears are next to the removed
distributor and resulting hole for sound to exit, right?
(or are the gears at the opposite end of the crank and
I'm all wet about the location coinciding?)

If  (BIG IF) I am right, then gear lash is what you hear.
Maybe too much from worn gears though, or no oil
at all on them now from sitting idle too long.  Are VW
cam drive gears known to wear??  Or are the gears
known to become loose on the shafts?

Whatever, more investigation before flying is a good
idea.  How, I don't  have any input, unless you might
squirt some oil onto those gears via the distributor
hole in the case??  Again, I'm not that up on VWs.

OR could be camshaft end play clunking
from the same source pressure when turning
the crank.  Doubtful the crank is the noise
source but when the gears have slop, just
could be involved too.

Best guess:  cam movement fore/aft due
to worn thrust bearing face.  Next best:
drive gears have too much lash - wear
 in the softer gear teeth??

Thanks....

Mark Langford