Alexander Graf wrote:
If we couldn't find a page on read_emulated, it might be a good
idea to tell the guest about that and inject a #PF.

We do the same already for write faults. I don't know why it was
not implemented for reads.

I can't think why it was done for writes. Normally, a guest page fault would be trapped and reflected a long time before emulation, in FNAME(page_fault)(), after walk_addr().

Can you give some details on the situation? What instruction was executed, and why kvm tried to emulate it?

(I guess it depends on the relative priority of svm instruction intercepts and the page fault intercept?)

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.