Alexander Graf wrote:

I can't think why it was done for writes. Normally, a guest page fault would be trapped and reflected a long time before emulation, in FNAME(page_fault)(), after walk_addr().

Can you give some details on the situation? What instruction was executed, and why kvm tried to emulate it?

I remember it was something about accessing the apic with npt. Maybe the real problem was the restricted bit checking that made the emulated instruction behave differently from the real mmu.

The apic should not be mapped by Hyper-V's shadow page tables, so this should have been handled by page_fault().

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.