I still poke at this when I get time.

I notice that pci_update_mappings calls pci_bar_address, and the latter will always return PCI_BAR_UNMAPPED for this device. For the emulated devices, pci_bar_address will get an address with PCI_ROM_ADDRESS_ENABLE at some point, and pci_map_option_rom will be called. With the card that I'm passing in, that never happens. Could anyone point me in the direction I should go from here? What sets that bit for the emulated devices that might not happen for the PCI card?

    if (type & PCI_BASE_ADDRESS_MEM_TYPE_64) {
        new_addr = pci_get_quad(d->config + bar);
    } else {
        new_addr = pci_get_long(d->config + bar);
    }
    /* the ROM slot has a specific enable bit */
    if (reg == PCI_ROM_SLOT && !(new_addr & PCI_ROM_ADDRESS_ENABLE)) {
        return PCI_BAR_UNMAPPED;
    }