Hi Milos, Martin, *,

2011/12/29 Martin Srebotnjak <mi...@filmsi.net>:

> 2011/12/28 Martin Srebotnjak <mi...@filmsi.net>
>>
>> 2011/12/28 Milos Sramek <sramek.mi...@gmail.com>
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have in the new Header/Footer feature of 3.5 for the first time
>>> noticed compound strings consisting of two separately translated
>>> strings. For example, "Format Header" is composed of strings Format
>>> (KeyId _XDs) and Header (b4n3).
>>>
>>> Slovak (and other languages) have cases - the Header word must be in the
>>> accusative case here. Are we sure that the b4n3 Header string is used
>>> only in such context and not in other, where for example, the nominative
>>> case should be used?
>>>
>>> I would prefer to not to compound strings of other strings. What do you
>>> think about that? Can we send this message to the developers?
>>>

>> Hi, I haven't noticed that, this should be marked, explained in notes, if
>> sdf had those...
>> Will check, but why is this not a single string?
>> Does that mean that also "Format Footer" is formed from two strings?
>> This is unacceptable and anglo-saxon-centric, really does not work well
>> for other languages.
>>

> OMG, now I saw it, this is horrible - each context menu command must be a
> separate string, you cannot format context menu commands in the same manner
> for 100+ languages!
> Thanks, Milos, for noticing this.

See also this thread:
http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/msg03406.html

I agree that composing strings in such a manner is not okay, and
should it become a habit with the devs, it's a disaster waiting to
strike.
Another such case:
7yKt + btRK = "Insert" + " Rows"
7yKt + xGzB = "Insert" + " Columns"
(make a table in Writer, right-click in it, choose Row - Insert or
Column - Insert, and behold the dialog title.)

I'm not sure if there are more.

Greetings,
Mihkel
The Estonian team