>> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Cor Nouws <nou...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>
>>> The idea is that the people that work in pootle, having to translate
>>> dialogs that are sometimes strange to them, can look at how it was
>>> before the conversion to ui.
>>>

>> A much better idea would be if someone actually converted the current
>> strings to the new format, so that we don't have to retranslate tons of
>> stuff just because of minor changes like a different accelerator character.
>>

> + a million!!!
>
> Before 4.2, I was pretty frustrated by having to retranslate previously
> translated strings, because "~" had been changed into "_", thereby creating
> some 6000 (IIRC) "untranslated" words. Sometimes TM helped, but with one or
> two-word strings, there were often several alternatives, so I had to chase
> the previous translation down in my 4.1 installation.

I avoided this problem the following way:
- Saved a zip of the previous version
- find . -name "*po" | xargs sed -i -e 's/~/_/g'
- fed the resulting files to a new TM in Lokalize and asked for
automatic substitution.

The "multiple translations for the same short expression" problem stayed
(and probably resulted in regressions I don't even know of), but the
longer expressions clicked into place like a charm, I only had to
unfuzzy them :).

Maybe you all could do something like this next time.

Regards
Gabor Kelemen