Hello,

Yes, Bulgarian is also one of those inflected languages that require different
translations to the same English phrase depending on the context. If we lose
msgctxt, we must have another way to separate different instances of the same
English phrase. Years ago at my workplace, we had this problem with an in-house
l10n system and AFAIR we circumvented it by including the context in the
original translatable string where necessary and then removing it in a small
English ‘translation’, something like this:

Original: Number|noun
English translation: Number
Bulgarian translation: Номер

Original: Number|menu_item
English translation: Number
Bulgarian translation: Номериране

Original: Settings
English translation: <same as the original, so not included in the l10n file>
Bulgarian translation: Настройки

So this could be a fallback if the new system does not support a
context/instance id separate aside from the translatable text itself. UI code
can also automatically strip the part after the escaping character, thus
eliminating the need for an English ‘translation’.

I rarely download POs to translate offline, but even in Pootle, msgctxt is
often useful to me to decide how to translate short ambiguous phrases instead
of searching for them visually in the UI.

Cheers,
Mihail