I am currently using 2 softs for the translation in Web Localization:
1. Notepad++: This one is great with simple HTML and mdtext file as
Rob has mentioned.
2. Kompozer: Why ?
With complicated html files such as download, when open it with
Notepad, Satan and Judas would love you by the appearance of a lot of
codes and tag in HTML.
Opening a html file with Kompozer would become easier for you to edit,
and even, you can see the actual appearance of that html files when
you are editting it.

Link to Notepad++:http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
Link to Kompozer: http://www.kompozer.net/

Kompozer is multi-platform, open source such as Notepad++.

While we are waiting for Rob to make clear documentation about website
Localization, I just want to suggest the tools which I am working
with, and I found that this was easier to do (with me).

Anyone who wants to know about the way to work with Kompozer can send
email to L10n team, and I will answer to you right away when I can.