Remembering The Rosenbergs

60th Anniversary Commemoration

Julius & Ethel Rosenberg Were Electrocuted on June 19th, 1953 - The Only
U.S. Civilians Executed During The Cold War

Wednesday, June 19th - 7:00 PM

At The Los Angeles Workers' Center
1251 South Saint Andrews Place, Los Angeles  90019
323-239-6335 - i...@losangelesworkers.org

$10 Suggested Donation - Nobody Will Be Turned Away Due to Lack of Funds.

Co-Hosted by Ed Asner & Mike Farrell

Ross Altman will Sing a Special Song he wrote called: "Ethel & Julius: A
Love Story"

To commemorate this 60th anniversary Ed Asner will co-present the 1983
fiction film "Daniel" on the precise anniversary of the Rosenbergs'
executions.  Directed by Sidney Lumet and based on E.L. Doctorow's novel
"The Book of Daniel" the movie "Daniel" is a fictionalization of the
Rosenbergs' story co-starring Mandy Patinkin, Lindsay Crouse, Timothy Hutton
and Ellen Barkin.

Co-Sponsors

Ed Asner, who portrays the attorney called Jacob Ascher in "Daniel," is a
co-sponsor of the commemoration and will co-introduce the film and
participate in a Q&A after the screening with actor Mike Farrell, who played
Captain B.J. Hunnicutt in the M*A*S*H TV Series and is the President of
Death Penalty Focus, anti-capital punishment organization.

The Event Will Focus On:

1) Remember the Rosenbergs

2) Oppose the Death Penalty

3) Free All Political Prisoners

Free Bradley Manning ~ Hands Off Julian Assange, Glenn Greenwald & Edward
Snowden

Julius & Ethel Rosenberg were an American married couple that was arrested,
charged with and convicted of conspiracy to commit espionage during a time
of war. The sentence for the crime was death. The couple was executed on
June 19, 1953 in Sing Sing Prison in New York. Their charges were related to
the passing of information about the atomic bomb to the Soviet Union.

The Rosenberg's had two minor children at the time of their execution,
<http://www.laprogressive.com/ethel-julius-rosenbergs-son-rober/> Michael
and Robert.

After the Rosenberg's were executed, the children were adopted & took on the
last name of their adoptive parents, Meeropol.

The LA Progressive carried a story on Robert Meeropol which can be found
<http://www.laprogressive.com/ethel-julius-rosenbergs-son-rober/> here.

After graduating from college, Michael and Robert sued the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBI> FBI and
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA> CIA under the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_Information_Act> Freedom of
Information Act (FOIA), winning the release of 300,000 previously secret
documents pertaining to their parents' case. Believing the documents proved
their parents' innocence, the Meeropol brothers co-wrote a book about their
childhood, We Are Your Sons: The Legacy of Ethel and Julius Rosenberg
(1975). From 1974 to 1978, he worked actively with the National Committee to
reopen the Rosenberg Case and the Fund for Open Information and
Accountability.

Robert Meeropol founded The Rosenberg Fund for Children which provides for
its beneficiaries' educational and emotional needs. He felt that the help he
and his brother received after their parents were executed should be
available to other children whose parents are taken away from them by the
criminal justice system. The Fund makes grants to institutions and
professionals who nurture these youngsters and cultivate progressive values.
For the first time, many of these children have been able to learn and
flourish in a supportive community of sympathetic peers and adults.
Attending a school or a summer camp that celebrates struggles for economic
and social justice has a powerfully positive impact on a child whose parents
have been attacked for participating in such struggles.

Said Meeropol, "My experience has taught me what is needed to ease the pain
of these children. I never would have survived to build my life and create
the Rosenberg Fund for Children were it not for the help I received from a
supportive community made up of so many socially aware individuals and
institutions. I started the Fund to enable today's members of this community
to rally around the children of this era's targeted activists."

Presented by Ed Asner, Mike Farrell, LAProgressive.com,
HollywoodProgressive.com & The Communist Party USA