From: Bilal Ali <mafundi...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Subject: Fwd: Kwazi Nkrumah and others up on charges
To: John A Imani johnaima...@gmail.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <kwazinkru...@aol.com>
Date: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 4:00 AM
Subject: Kwazi Nkrumah and others up on charges

Comrades,

 This is nothing but, as said in the below, an attempt to "intimidate those
who speak out".

Kwazi Nkrumah is a tireless advocate for and participant in the struggle
for our rights as human beings.  And he has made of himself an example in
his coalition-building skills and in fostering inter-organizational
cooperation.

He deserves all of our support.

JAI
RAC-LA

Dear Friends and Neighbors:

After many delays, I am being put on trial in Long Beach today on several
false charges brought against me by the Long Beach police stemming from my
participation in a protest at the Port of Long Beach nearly 2 years ago, in
connection with my work with the Occupy Movement.

On Monday of this week I also received a summons to appear at the L.A. City
Attorney's offices next Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. to face additional false
charges of supposedly organizing a "riot" downtown on August 28th. This
supposed "riot" was actually a peaceful, non-violent protest organized by
the Martin Luther King Coalition of Greater Los Angeles during the 50th
Anniversary Commemorations of the 1963 March on Washington demanding
justice for Trayvon Martin and other victims of racial profiling and
protesting state budget cuts of essential services to our communities.

BOTH OF THESE CASES ARE SIMPLY PART OF A GENERAL ATTEMPT TO INTIMIDATE
THOSE WHO SPEAK OUT AGAINST THE CORRUPT AND OPPRESSIVE CONDITIONS OF OUR
TIMES. THOSE OF US WHO ARE COMMITTED TO CHALLENGING THESE CONDITIONS MUST
NEVER ALLOW OURSELVES TO BE INTIMIDATED.

UNDER THE FIRST AMENDMENT TO THE U.S. CONSTITUTION EVERY CITIZEN HAS THE
RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH, INCLUDING THE RIGHT TO PROTEST POLICIES AND PRACTICES
THAT WE DISAGREE WITH. EVEN IF WE DID NOT HAVE SUCH PROTECTION UNDER THE
LAW, IT WOULD STILL BE OUR MORAL AND POLITICAL RESPONSIBILITY TO DO SO!

If you are concerned with the protection of our first amendment rights, and
especially if you or your organization participated in or supported the MLK
Coalition's march and rally downtown on August 28th, I would like to
encourage you to join myself, Carolfrances Likins, Joyce Brody and Bilal
Ali at our hearing at the City Attorney's office on Wednesday, October 9th
at 9:30 a.m. (312 South Hill St., 2nd Floor, L.A. 90013) Let the city
attorney's office know that you will not tolerate any attempts to equate
non-violent protests with organizing a riot. (Please contact me to let me
know of you are interested in attending.)

I will post additional information on both cases as I can.

--- Kwazi Nkrumah, Co-Chair, Martin Luther King Coalition of Greater Los
Angeles
(213) 400-9155