http://lo-de-alla.org/2013/10/venezuela-between-disenchantment-and-patience/

Venezuela: Between disenchantment and
patience<http://lo-de-alla.org/2013/10/venezuela-between-disenchantment-and-patience/>
[image: ((El Faro
photo))]<http://lo-de-alla.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/maduro3.jpg>

((El Faro photo))

*Nicolás Maduro is not Hugo Chávez*

[Translation of an article from *El Faro* of San Salvador, El Salvador, for
October 4, 2013. See original
here<http://www.elfaro.net/es/201310/internacionales/13532/> and
related articles
here<http://lo-de-alla.org/2013/03/venezuela-nicolas-maduro-the-driving-force/>
 and here<http://lo-de-alla.org/2013/04/venezuela-what-is-the-oppositions-game/>
.]

By Valeria Pacheco

*Caracas, Venezuela* – “I can’t get rice, flour, oil or butter. You have to
search for food from one supermarket to another and everything is more
expensive, I barely have enough money,” says Isabel Sánchez at the exit of
an informal market in the populous district of Petare, in eastern Caracas.

Six months after the start of the administration of President Nicolás
Maduro, who assumed office on April 19, Venezuelans face a cumulative
inflation through August of 32.9 percent (the highest in Latin America) and
a cyclical shortage of goods that has gotten worse in the past few weeks.

Sánchez, a 45-year-old housewife, argues that these problems already
existed during the government of Hugo Chávez but “now we feel them much
more because Maduro is just learning to govern” and he has “an opposition
that is always attacking him.”

“If you want milk you have to stand in line and if you go to a supermarket
you can buy milk but there is no rice. Now there is more delinquency, there
are more shortages, it’s all a hassle,” adds Francisco, who is next to her,
as he peels yuccas one by one to sell in the market.

Francisco, who has seven children and considers himself a “devoted
Chavista,” describes the situation more sharply. “With Chávez we were much
better off; you don’t need glasses to see what’s right in front of you.”

Maduro, foreign minister for six years and designated by Hugo Chávez to be
his successor shortly before he died, for which he was confirmed by a
narrow margin in early elections shortly afterward, attributes the
shortages to an “economic war” or to sabotage by the opposition and the
businessmen, who hoard goods in order to wreak social discord and
instability.

Maduro began his term already being criticized over his handling of
Chávez’s sickness and death and during these months of economic hardship he
has been taken to task as well over his constant charges of assassination
plots against him and even for some linguistic gaffes in his speeches.

But he is also recognized for his openness in relations to the private
sector, his support for the struggle against widespread corruption – a
topic that was taboo for Chávez – and his announcements – still not put
into effect – of more flexible exchange controls, one of the causes of the
economic crisis.

“Chávez had an extraordinary ability to communicate; he was a teacher.
Maduro wants to emulate him but he hasn’t yet found a style of his own that
defines his leadership,” explains political scientist and university
professor Nicmer Evans.

“It’s been 150 days, there has not been enough time to speak of deception.
The Chavista population is evaluating whether his administration is
consistent with Chávez’s line and his form of leadership,” he adds.

Francisco believes in the head of state’s reasoning. “This is in part
sabotage, like what they carried out against Chávez at the beginning. They
made war against the *comandante* not only over food but over gasoline.”
But before, “if there was a shortage of milk, Chávez would go to Argentina,
there was a shortage of chicken and he would go to Brazil. Chávez would be
on the move,” he says.

“I thought this country was going to move along as it did with Chávez, but
that’s not the way it is. We are short of everything here. I regret voting
for Maduro. He is not managing things well,” Narcelis Páez comments while
he arranges packages of powdered milk at his stand a few meters away from
Francisco.

The conversation gets lively. Ismael Rondón, who is 52 years old and lives
with four of his children in Petare, joins in and agrees on defending the
government despite the problems. “The businessmen hoard the goods and claim
later it’s the government’s fault.”

“The situation in the country may improve. We’ll have to wait because
Maduro hasn’t been in for even six months. We have to give him more time,
he is just beginning,” he adds.

Nevertheless, many Venezuelans also believe that public safety has gotten
worse; in 2012 there were 16,000 homicides in Venezuela, which translates
to 54 assassinations for every 100,000 inhabitants, the highest in South
America.

Maduro repeats almost every day that he will carry on “Chávez’s revolution”
despite the difficulties his government faces, which the opposition
believes are the result of the Chavistas’ inefficient administration after
14 years in office.

“I do not regret having voted for Maduro because the responsibility they
handed him is very hard. He was prepared for some things but he never
thought he would face what he is facing,” Sánchez concludes and leaves with
her packages for other stands to look for the food she still needs.