  From: Abigail Morrison
 Date: 3/26/2007 11:13:06 PM
 To: labradoodles@yahoogroups.com
 Subject: Re: [labradoodles] Re: Breeding

   Did you adopt her from somebody who does puppymill rescue? I have had a few
foster labradoodles from puppymills and I would never adopt out an unaltered
dog. Our vets do pediatric spay neuters (the studies are not totally conclusive
at this time as to the long term health problems that might go with pediatric
speuters, but when you consider how many lives are saved by NOT being bred, it
is worth it to us). It is usually recommended to speuter BEFORE 6 months, most
of the vets I know usually say 16 weeks, Same time as they get the rabies
shots.
   Puppymills are NOTORIOUS for dogs with genetic conditions. I am SOOOOO glad
that you are rethinking breeding her. Honestly, the only reason that somebody
should breed is to better the breed and, like somebody else mentioned it is
done with painstaking research.
   I have always had my animals fixed and really know nothing about breeding. I
do know that my neighbors cats had kittens in my garage one y two cats had 5
kittens each and 7 of those were female. It didn't take me too long to
guestimate that if I didn't have all of those cats fixed, I would have 9
females (the 7 kittens plus the two moms) having 5 kittens each within the next
year and if there were 31 females of those 45 kittens, we would have 40 moms
having kittens the next breeding season. It was the best lesson in exponential
growth that I have ever come across and the best reason that I can give people
to spay and neuter their animals.
   Anyways, like I said, I am so glad to hear that you are going to be having
her spayed. If you are ever looking for another one, I am in southern mid
Michigan, not too far from the Indiana border and would be happy to help you
find another one in need of a good home.
        Abbie

alialx2 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  One more question - When is a good age to have her spayed. I have
never had a female before. I think my Vet suggested 6 months. What
is your opinion?---

In labradoodles@yahoogroups.com, "Kendra Vestal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I would like to add that just because your dog passes its health
tests does
> not mean that it should be bred, you must also study the test
results of the
> parents of your dog and if possible the test results of their
parents too.

> HD is a recessive disorder that can be passed down many
generations. Your