Very interesting film.  On my screen at the end of the film when Youtube shows
other similar films was the same film on half a screen with a film of the same
street taken a few days after the earthquake and fire, side by side.  It was a
very different looking city.

As to the traffic and people, this had to be long before traffic laws and
marked pedestrian crossings.  I think the film shows actions sped up a bit, as
many old films do.  Distances may have also been a bit foreshortened by the
camera so actions were not quite as dangerous as some looked.

Alice in Oregon ... raining again but next week is supposed to actually be dry.
 There's always hope.