On 5/11/11 10:36 AM, dmt11h...@aol.com wrote:

It has always been my impression that sugar  is sugar,
whether it be added (sucrose) or whether it be contained
within a fruit (fructose).

Once upon a time, I handed out cookies at a Century ride. My grapes had just ripened, so I brought along a few bunches of those too.

One of the riders was thrilled to see the grapes -- they would bring her blood sugar up faster than the cookies would.

*Some* diabetics get a bye on fruit because the sugar is diluted with fiber and stuff. This doesn't apply to juice that has had the fiber and stuff filtered out. I have heard that orange juice is the best treatment for insulin shock in a person who can still swallow a liquid.

Tangent: a long time ago, a paramedic who was teaching a first-aid course told us that the very expensive glucose paste for reviving diabetics in insulin shock came only in huge packages, so that you had to spoil a whole pound every time you gave a patient a teaspoonful. So he went to McDonald's and asked for a handful of their honey packets. Just the right size, no waste, works exactly the same, tastes better, and McDonald is happy to help out at no charge.

--
Joy Beeson
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/