Hi David -

I remember a year or two ago someone needed a translation
and it was promptly offered up by someone else who had gone
to one of the web translation sites.  It was a clumsy
translation, to say the least.  So when I read your note, I
was skeptical.  I went to Babblefish, and typed in some text
from Ulrike Löhr's 400 Tricks book - the one we'd all love
to have a translation to!

It wasn't a speedy proposition.  The site does have handy
buttons on the screen with which you can change letters with
special characters - change "o" to "ö" for example, but that
certainly slows you down when you're typing, and heaven
knows the German language is peppered with special
characters - all of which change the meaning of words.  But
when I got the translation - almost immediately - it was
"reasonable" enough for me to understand the gist.  I think
Sally Barry is the one who observed how impoverished the
German language is, so a single word is used for lots of
different meanings.  The free translation available on the
website assumed the most common use of the word (I am
guessing).  Spitzen means lace (to us) but was translated
"tip" by the system.  But some words it just didn't know
(annähen: sew on to, flechtspitzen: which I take to mean a
braid), and in one case it gave me a nonsense sentence but I
had been able to easily translate it with a dictionary.

So the bottom line is that it might be helpful to feed
something through the translator and then use a dictionary
to clean up the translation that you get.  It *might* be
quicker that way...  OR, if you're really eager to get a
good translation, you can type in what you have, click a
button, and not one but two human translators will give you
a clean translation for merely $49.95!  ; )

Clay

Clay Blackwell
Lynchburg, VA